Covert History


Voters in our district approved a $3,735,000 school expansion package in October 1952. At the time Superintendent Watson expressed the hope that the new elementary school which was to be erected on Long Beach Road and Willow Street would be ready for occupancy in February 1952. However, due to complications, ground was not broken until February 1952. In July 1952, the cornerstone was placed by the wife of the late William S. Covert. Its placement marked the beginning of the implementation of the plan of the Superintendent, Floyd B. Watson, and the School Board to build a new school with eleven classrooms on the site previously known as Tally-Ho Farm.

William S. Covert was the Supervising Principal in the district from 1905-1918 and became the First Superintendent of Schools. He served as superintendent from 1918-1933. The first principal of Covert School was Miss Evelyn Tarplee. Tarplee served as principal from 1953-1970. In 1970, Mrs. Lee Roth took on the position of principal. Mrs. Roth spent many years at Covert School and retired in 1984. In 1984, Mrs. Loretta Marshall replaced Mrs. Roth. Mrs. Marshall served as principal for fifteen years, before retiring in June 1999. On September 1, 1999 Mr. Darren Raymar was selected to become Covert School's first male principal.

In 2003, two additional classrooms were added due to increased enrollment.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.